Saturday 1 January 2011

2010, eh?

Happy New year!

I'm not very inclined to dissect the year just gone. It contained a few great moments for me, most notably landing a publishing deal for my début novel (did I mention that?), and also saw me moving back across to the sunny side of the Channel, but there was enough tedium and frustration to make the arrival of 2011 very welcome. So my best foot is well and truly forward this January morning, and there's even a slight spring in the old step too. Lots to do.

I don't make New Year's resolutions any more – I'm more of a five-year-plan kinda guy – but I do like to consciously tackle something connected with my career at this time of the year. Last time round it was the fact that I felt poorly-read in recent kid-lit, and I read nearly 50 MG and YA novels last year as a result. This year's issue will be branding: how should I promote myself as a novelist whilst taking into account everything I've done -- and am still doing -- in picture books? And where does my illustration fit into all this?

Who am I exactly?

By this time next year I plan to have a website that resolves all this. Right now though, I can hardly imagine what will be on it.

But let's not cram it all into one day. I think I'll go out for a walk, to see if I can spot any positive signs for the future in the dripping hedgerows and mist. Well, you never know...

Will you be making any resolutions? And if so, how will you enforce them?

9 comments:

  1. I do not make resolutions either. Thankyou for the enjoyable reading this year and purrs on the publishing deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's been a great year for your Thomas - but I'm sure 2011 will cap it. I look forward to you revealing your true identity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cat. Happy New Year!

    Simon, the latex mask is starting to slip! It'll be good to get it off at last.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for sharing your thoughts Thomas, and congratulations on the publishing deal! I think fixing one career-related problem at new year is a very good idea! (I've set myself a thoroughly achievable resolution and decided to get a tattoo).

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's a latex mask? I thought that was what you looked like? Now I'm curious to see what's underneath!

    I'm not bothering with New Years resolutions this year either - I'm just going to go with the flow for this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm pretty much just going to keep on keeping on. I have ridiculous ambitions but I have patience in greater spades. We'll see what happens.

    I've also been thinking about branding a lot, since a post of yours a while back actually. Look forward to reading your thoughts on this.

    I fear I've fallen down the pit between showing I'm adaptable and looking like I have no focus. Incidentally, I have focus, too much usually. It can be like blindness...

    Congratulations on all your achievements, Thomas, past and those to come. You're an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Faye. Of course, you do realise we all need to see the tattoo now?

    Kat, thanks for commenting. I think there's a lot to be said for going with the flow. It's the surfer's approach.

    Rachel, Happy New Year! It's good to have ridiculous ambitions, but I bet they aren't as ridiculous as you think.

    "...I have focus, too much usually. It can be like blindness..."

    Good point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been a fan of making resolutions, although having some sort of plan wouldn't be a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Thomas, yes of COURSE! If I'm brave enough to go through with it, I'll be showing EVERYONE. (Including strangers in the street, probably).

    It's lovely to (sort of) meet you - I noticed your comments on my friend Cass' Facebook :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.